Tuesday, October 1, 2019

I Lost an Argument with a Box Cutter

I learned why following safety rules can be so important in life.  I was helping out at another retail pharmacy location in August.  I was trying to remove a fixture which was attached to a metal shelf with plastic screws.  Normally simply tugging on the fixture will pull the screw out.  Unfortunately, I encountered one persistent screw which would not budge.  Being the smart person that I am, I went to my truck and got my box cutter.  While holding the fixture with my left hand, I tried to cut the plastic screw.  I cut the screw along with the tip of my left thumb.  Took off most of the extended part of the fingernail and about a sixteenth of the actual meat of my thumb.  I spent 4 hours in the ER that night and had surgery a few days later to repair my thumb.  The amount I cut was not enough to be reattached so the plastic surgeon did a procedure where he cut a V into my thumb, pulled the skin to cover the open wound and stitched it back together.  I've been wearing gauze pads and bandages since then as the wound heals.  So when people see my covered finger and ask what happened my reply is, I lost an argument with a box cutter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment