Monday, May 13, 2019

Child Support Problems

Sometimes the government intervenes when it's not necessary.  A couple of weeks ago, my paycheck was garnished.  I was distraught when I noticed $240 of my hard-earned money gone without warning.  I contacted payroll and HR to find out the source of the garnishment.  This led me to the department of human services.  According to them, I was behind $1200 on child support and they were going to take $240 from every paycheck going forward until I caught up.  Wait!  Do what!! I pay my child support.  I called the agency to discuss what happened.  I was told that since I was paying my wife's representative payee and not the agency directly, there was no record of the payments.  I told the rep on the phone I had receipts from the payee.  The young lady on the phone said my ex-wife would have to come to the office with the receipts and fill out paperwork stating I had made the payments.  And then it was up to the case worker, if the payments were acceptable.  This also poses a problem for my wife because now she has to wait for money to be loaded to a child support card rather than get it from her payee.  So as I look at my statement for this week's check, I see another garnishment even though my wife went and filled the paperwork out.  These child support problems are going to be a major headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment