Monday, December 26, 2011

Raising the Kids

It amazes me how my wife tries to make me a villain to my kids.  Some people say that I am harsh and cruel.  I feel I am realistic.  Don’t get me wrong.  I don’t beat my kids with belts and have them scrubbing toilets with a toothbrush.  But I do have high expectations for them and I am trying to raise them to see the world for the harsh place it is.  When my kids start crying because they can’t get their way, I tell them to knock that shit off.  Yes I raise my voice.  Yes I curse them. But I don’t put a hand on any of my girls unless the crime warrants it.  With that in mind, I am thinking about 2 recent events with my eldest daughter.  Issue #1 – supposedly the eldest tried to trip our middle daughter or some foolishness like that.  The middle child came in crying.  I asked the eldest what happened and warned her that lying would not make things any better.  She explained that they had been playing and she may have hurt the middle girl.  My wife decides the appropriate punishment is to punch my eldest in the arm repeatedly. Now the eldest runs down the hall crying.  It took everything in me not to put that bitch through a wall at that point. I did confront her and did explain that if she ever hit one of my children like that again, I would put her out of her misery, without hesitation or regret.  Issue #2 – my wife instructed the eldest to take care of cleaning the kitchen.  During the process, the child decided to throw a porcelain coffee mug across the room into the sink.  Needless to say, gravity took over and the cup shattered.  I was at work so I got a phone call from my wife saying my child was throwing cups.  WTF? I’m at work! You are the one at the house. She is yours as much as she is mine. You can’t talk to and discipline your own child?  So I talked to the eldest and when she explained what she did, I laughed. I said okay and hung the phone up.  As days go by, I continue to question my decision to try and raise kids with this woman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment