Monday, December 26, 2011

Unwanted Christmas Traditions

I have to post this only because it has been bothering me for the last week.  I almost had to deal with a dreaded Christmas tradition last week.  I have to give a little background for this to make sense.  Years ago when I still getting used to being diabetic and dealing with the symptoms of the disease I would get sick, really sick.  My most serious cases of illness would occur near the holidays.  It was so bad that my family and friends grew to anticipate me being sick around Thanksgiving and/ Christmas.  Fast forward to December 2011.  I am an insulin-dependent diabetic who currently uses a pump.  On Saturday, December 17th, my pump ran out of insulin while at work.  No big deal. Just call the pharmacy for a refill. Unfortunately, I left job one and went to job two without going by the pharmacy.  Still no reason to panic.  Although I was treading into dangerous water, I knew I could survive for a little while.  I left work that night and went to my emergency plan which was to use an insulin pen until i could refill my pump.  I was feeling ok Sunday and went to work planning to grab my regular insulin on the way to job 2.  I made the mistake of going to job 2 again.  So Sunday night was rough.  I couldn't sleep.  Although I was tired, my body would not relax.  Monday morning I felt like crap.  I tried to get up for work.  Then everything caught up with me.  I started throwing up.  That is the one sign I hate to see. Every single time in the past when I was at that point with my illness, the next step was a trip to ICU.  I refused to go this year.  After dealing with my wife's hospitalization last Christmas, I couldn't do that to my kids.  Good news is that the house was still asleep and no one was aware of how sick I was.  I took a massive dose of insulin from the pen and prayed.  I was able to make it to work, but initially was not very functionalble.  My manager told me that I should have stayed home.  I explained I just needed time for the insulin to get in my bloodstream.  I also told her that I would go to the pharmacy as soon as it opened for my regular insulin.  Luckily, everything worked out.  No hospital trip and no one was hurt.  I'm happy I was able to dodge the bullet of that unwanted Christmas Tradition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment