Sunday, June 2, 2019

Doing Right is Expensive

I recently read an article (I may misquote the figures here) that said there are about 30 million diabetics in the US.  About 7 million of those, ration out the crucial insulin medication needed to survive due to its high cost.  The cost of insulin does not include syringes to inject the medication, a glucose meter to test blood sugar levels to ensure proper dosage and other things associated with the disease.  Plus, depending on how serious the condition, a diabetic has to survive on a low/no carb and no sugar diet.  Personally, I thought getting a new job with better insurance would help more with my diabetes.  Don't get me wrong - things are improving with my health slowly but it comes at a high cost.  I'm on an insulin pump which means I need insulin plus the supplies for the pump to inject the medicine.  Doing right is expensive and I don't know how long I will be able to maintain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment