Thursday, November 21, 2013

Visit with the Psychologist - Daddy Issues

During yesterday's session, the doctor decided to address my comment about having daddy issues.  She tried to refer back to my test results to back up her claim that I indeed had daddy issues.  First of all, if the test had revealed those results, you would have addressed it sooner than now.  We discussed the person I call my sperm donor since I do not consider him to be my father.  I explained that even though I was an only child, I had enough positive male role models to keep me going.  She asked what I knew about my father and I told her nothing.  I told her that the one time I laid eyes on him I was about 6-7 yrs old and did not know who he was because he did not introduce himself to me as my parent.  He was simply a friend of the family. I wouldn't know him today if he stood in front of me.  I continued to explain the only other time I have ever spoken to the man was after my accident years ago.  I told the doctor the conversation was not pleasant for him because I had no love for him and know desire to get to know him.  Even if my family did not want him around when I was little, once I was out of the house/grown/taking care of myself, he could have reached out to me.  I basically summed up my feelings to the doctor by saying, "you can't miss what you never had."  The doctor tried to stick to her train of thought and told me I should try to talk to my family about my daddy to see what happened and if there is any chance of him being in my girls' lives.  I had to bite my tongue before I said "hell no." 

No comments:

Post a Comment