Tuesday, September 11, 2012

WTF - Misconceptions

I was at the store with my wife today and she made me think about how easy it is to make a misconception about someone, even if you think you know that person very well.  I was looking for one of those double-insulated cups to take to work to help improve my daily water consumption.  We found some at the end of one of the store rows.  I chose a black cup because as any one that knows me will tell you, black is my favorite color.  My wife gave me a strange look.  I asked her did she also want a cup or what was the problem.  After some more prodding on my part, she finally asked why I chose black.  I told her because I did not want the red, the blue, the orange or the pink cup(s).  She said I should pick one with a pattern and wanted to know why I always picked black for everything.  She said that people might think I am a “dark” soul because of my preference for black.  WTF?!  Just because black is my favorite color does not make me a dark soul.  I have a very warm and friendly personality.  I get along with everyone.  That’s the problem with the world today.  We form misconceptions based on what we “think” about people rather than what we actually “know” about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment