Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Today's Doctor Visit

Today was a "routine" visit to my diabetic doctor to see how things were going.  While I was in the lobby signing in, I gave my insulin pump to the receptionist so she could hand it to the nurse and begin the download on my glucose levels.  Another patient asked me, "Was that an insulin pump?  Do you like it?"  I responded yes and yes telling her that I had much better control with the pump than when I was taking the injections 3-4 times a day.  Her biggest concern about wearing a pump was it being visible through her clothes.  Since I did not know her I restrained myself from saying "Bitch kill yo self!"  I can't imagine an adult being more concerned with how they look than their health.  Talk about bullshit.  Anyway, I got called to the back.  My weight was the same as last visit which was a surprise considering my eating dropped off a lot since I was terminated.  The nurse asked if she could draw some blood.  I said sure but be warned you may have a problem finding a vein.  The vein showed up nice and ready to be stuck.  Second warning - it's going to run from you.  And of course when the needle went in my arm the vein rolled and she completely missed it.  Another nurse had to come and re-stick me to draw the blood.  A1C was 8.5.  Up a little from the last time but still not nearly as bad as those double digits I used to always get.  Cholesterol looked great.  Not bad for someone not taking cholesterol medication.  All in all the visit went well.  One slight change in my early morning dosage of medication and a 6 week follow up appointment before my health benefits expire.  Works for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment