Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Can't Win for Losing

One of the pieces of equipment at my job failed last night right before close.  It was not an emergency issue at the time.  I alerted the opening manager this morning to the problem and told her that I would come by to try and help fix it.  The repair was beyond what we could do so we had to call the company that installed the equipment.  I waited around until the repairman showed up to find out what the cause was and how we could prevent it in the future.  Did I mention that today is my day off so I was doing all this because I wanted to, not because I had to.  The machine was repaired and all was well, I thought.  I called the store manager to let him know everything was ok.  He response was to tell me to stop working off the clock and go home.  First of all, I was not performing any duties related to my normal job function so technically I was not "working off the clock."  Secondly, I thought I was showing initiative by following through on the repair because the problem occurred during my shift.  O well. Sometimes you can't win for losing.

No comments:

Post a Comment