Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Help Me Understand

My wife and I were talking today which led to her becoming frustrated.  She said to me, "I wish people would understand that mental illness is a disease."  My response was that I understand that part.  It's a disease just like my diabetes.  But in order to get the help she needs for her disease, she has to do like me and talk to people to help them understand what is going on.  The average person has little to no knowledge of a serious medical ailment unless it has personally affected them or a family member.  That being said, I told her that I understand she has good and bad days, hell so do I.  But I don't let the bad days outnumber the good.  I don't let my disease control my life.  I just want her to understand that she can be in control of her life and back in charge if she really wants to.  Otherwise my lack of understanding will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment