Thursday, June 27, 2013

I Think My Job is Slowly Killing Me

Often times we hear people use the exaggerated expression "This job is killing me."  Other times, the statement is true.  People who work in high risk fields put their lives on the line to provide for themselves and their family.  My job is not high risk but it is very high stress.  That has become more and more evident recently.  Today was a great example of why this job may put me in an early grave.  I went in to work 2 hours early hoping to get some stuff done.  When I arrived at work, my blood sugar was over 200.  No big deal.  Take some insulin and keep it pushing.  Once people started to arrive and my day got started, I could feel myself getting sick.  When I checked my sugar, it was 40.  I had just purchased a tube of glucose tablets from the store so I quickly swallowed 8 of them.  I started to feel better.  My day continued and so did the stress.  A few hours later when I should have been going to lunch, I was stuck at my desk because my peers were MIA.  I checked my sugar again.  This time it was 50.  Luckily I had another tube of glucose tablets.  So during my normal shift plus 2 hours minus a lunch, I managed to damn near bottom out twice.  No job should be that stressful.  No job should put you to the point you risk your life due to stress.  Days like this make finding something else seem like a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment