Saturday, July 7, 2012

Taking People for Granted

I was reminded tonight why it is important to never take people for granted.  Tonight was a typical night at my job.  It was Friday and we were busy as expected.  As the night started to wind down, we began to clean up.  My team knows the list of cleaning duties so everyone picks a task.  One of the young ladies I work with usually cleans several things as part of her nightly ritual.  I never really thought much of it other than it was part of her routine.  She had an emergency tonight and had to leave early.  It was not until she left that I realized how much I had been taking her hard work for granted.  Without her being there, the cleaning tasks you normally performed had to be given to someone else.  Rather than me being able to stand back and manage the team, I had to show someone how to clean because they did not know how.  I realized it was those little things that she did which had the biggest impact.  I am going to make it a point to let her know how much I appreciate everything she does.  I don't want her to think that I take her hard work and dedication for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment