Wednesday, January 25, 2012

How Low Can You Go?

I had a scary moment at work the other day.  I was sitting at my desk and I started to feel myself shake.  I blew it off initially thinking it may have just been a cold chill or something.  When the feeling continued for a couple of minutes, I got worried.  I knew my blood sugar was off.  I spoke with a peer and informed her that I was about to check it and would be right back.  A quick run to the bathroom and finger prick confirmed my fear.  46.  Normal blood sugar ranges from about 70-140.  I always run higher than normal because I don’t function well in the normal range.  Call it crazy but I don’t.  So for me to be at 46 was like being on Death’s doorstep waiting to be let in.  I quickly inhaled a candy bar and a soda in hopes of recovering.  My peer checked on me again.  I told her I was in the process of getting better but it would take time.  I let her feel my heart rate since it was extremely elevated due to the hypoglycemia.  A shocked and concerned look came across her face.  I told her not to worry and that I would be ok.  After a short period of time, the candy bar and soda kicked it.  I started to feel slightly better.  I was able to complete my day without visiting the emergency room. Times like that remind me of how important it is to take better care of myself.  I really don’t want to find out how low my blood sugar can go before I reach the point of no return

No comments:

Post a Comment